A quick glimpse at #yoga on Instagram could be enough to scare any yoga novice out of stepping into class for the first time. The yoga scene is bumpin’ and so it’s easy to feel like everyone is doing it, and maybe even “better” than you feel you could. But! Don't fear. The magic of yoga lives in the parts that you can’t see. The magic of yoga lives in the breath + in the mind.
Not being able to touch your toes doesn’t make you a bad yogi. It makes you a yogi at the start of your journey. And trust us - that’s an exciting place to be. Cherish this beginner’s mindset as it keeps you curious, keeps you fresh and keeps you learning! A mantra for newbs + pro's, alike:
You don’t need to be flexible to practice yoga.
You don’t need to be strong to practice yoga.
You don’t need to have any clue what you’re doing to practice yoga.
All you need is a willingness to try and some determination to keep showing up. And if you really want to feel prepared for that first-class, experience, here are our 3 top tips:
- Choosing clothes you feel comfortable + confident in.
- Fuelling with good food and hydrating properly before class.
- Doing some research and choosing a class that is suitable to where you’re at.
Because we love newbies and value the beginner’s mindset, we offer a class on our schedule designed specifically for first-timers and anyone who wants to brush up on those basics. Nailing the foundations is the key to asana progression!
Good Space Fundamentals (aka GSF)
More in-depth instruction and hands-on assists and at a pace that you can follow. Doable, yes. Scary, no. Good Space Fundamentals will not only expose you to the practice but teach you about the principles of the practice and the postures in a way that you can digest and feel good about.
This 75-minute class samples all three of our class styles:
- Move: Vinyasa-style movement that will get your heart rate going, safely access and build your flexibility, and strengthen while moving.
- Ease: slow-moving, yin-style postures, held up to 5 minutes long. With the support of props and lots of instruction, you’ll settle into juicy shapes that target your connective tissue and relax your body + mind.
- Still: full body relaxation thanks to an extended savasana and a short and sweet meditation.
The Fundamentals Class is offered every Tuesday from 6:30 - 7:45 pm with Lindsay Duncan, a classically trained teacher who integrates a modern approach into all of her classes. You know your body better than anyone, and so if you’re feeling daring (which we always encourage), new yogis are welcome to join any class offered on the schedule. But if you’re looking for a bit of extra support, this is the class for you.